MANAGE FIRST AID SERVICES AND RESOURCES
Course summary sheet FA13
ALL BUSINESSES IN AUSTRALIA HAVE TO PROVIDE A SAFE WORKPLACE FOR ALL EMPLOYEES, VISITORS & CONTRACTORS. IT IS IDEAL FOR FIRST AIDERS THAT MANAGE A FIRST AID ROOM, FIRST AID KIT AND RESOURCES, REQUIRING A HIGHER LEVEL OF PREPAREDNESS IN ORDER TO ADEQUATELY HANDLE A WORKPLACE EMERGENCY BEFORE, DURING AND AFTER EMERGENCY SERVICES ARRIVE.
Manage first aid services and resources.
Course Currency Status:
Statement of Attainment: HLTAID008 Manage first aid services and resources.
3years. This is specified by the Code of Practice – First Aid in the Workplace.
Mode of Delivery:
Blended learning:Face-to-face in classroom environment and pre-learning.
One day for face-to-face (approximately 2 to 4 hours, including meal break).
Estimated time to complete pre-learning: 2 to 4 hours depending on student skill level. Workbook exercises and theory component of the assessment makes up the pre-course homework that is required to be completed prior to attending.
Written, practical and scenario-based assessments.
Who should attend:
This course covers skills and knowledge required to perform an emergency first aid response in a work setting in line with the ARC (Australian Resuscitation Council) guidelines.
All businesses in Australia have to provide a safe workplace for all employees, visitors and contractors. It is ideal for first aiders requiring a higher level of preparedness in order to adequately handle a workplace emergency before, during and after emergency services arrive.Further first aid training, such as HLTAID006 Provide advanced first aid, HLTAID007 Provide advanced resuscitation, (HLTSS00027 –Occupational First Aid Skill Set) may be required to meet those obligations in case of an accident and or injury to anyone on your premises.
Although there are no prerequisites for undertaking this course, please note that all pre-course homework must be completed prior to attending.
Note that the Learner will need to meet the required ACSF levels and Foundation Skills requirements to successfully complete the course.
Determine Workplace First Aid Requirements;
- Identify workplace hazards and assess associated risks as a basis for determining first aid resource requirements.
- Identify first aid equipment, resources and personnel required to address workplace requirements.
- Develop first aid action plans in consultation with relevant parties.
- Provide information to encourage risk minimization and enable access to first aid facilities.
Establish and Maintain Workplace First Aid Facilities;
- Monitor and maintain availability of first aid equipment, resources and personnel to support workplace first aid response.
- Conduct regular inspections of stock and equipment to ensure currency and operational readiness in line with workplace requirements.
- Ensure equipment is recovered and reprocessed and that waste is disposed of safely according to legislative and workplace procedures.
- Ensure equipment and resources are stored and maintained in line with relevant legislation and manufacturer’s/supplier’s instructions.
- Deploy appropriate equipment, resources and personnel to ensure timely and effective first aid response in line with workplace requirements.
Maintain Workplace First Aid Records;
- Ensure documentation is completed as required according to legislation and workplace procedures.
- Maintain first aid records in line with legislative requirements and workplace security practices.
- Send relevant documents to appropriate bodies in line with workplace and legislative requirements.
- Maintain confidentiality of records and information in line with statutory and/or organisational policies .
Review the Provision of First Aid in the Workplace;
- Participate in debriefing/evaluation to improve future operations and address individual needs.
- Evaluate management of workplace first aid incidents in relation to required resources, personnel, current organisational procedures and individual first aid action plans.
- Contribute to the review of workplace policies and procedures in accordance with risk assessment and evaluation of first aid provision.